Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The life you expected?

Jeremy & I had a conversation tonight that got me curious as to the reponses of my friends. I think I know the answer that some of you will give. For others, I'm not so sure. So, here it is...is the life you are living the one you dreamed of/expected to live when you thought about your "adult" life as an adolecent/teenager? For Jeremy, the answer is yes. When he thought of his life he figured he would work as an engineer somewhere, have a wife and kids, a house, and serve in a church. For him, it's like all of the puzzle pieces now have recognizable pictures on them and they are all in place.

I'm the exact opposite. I said this matter-of-factly and without regret, but my life is COMPLETELY different than I dreamed of/expected. By this point in my life my accounting career would have me in at least the low six figures. Not that I dreamed of having a lot of money, but I did fantasize about a black Lexus occasionally :) I always wanted to work for the firm that I worked for in Boston. It was my plan from the moment I entered college. And I loved working for them and would have continued had I not married a man who lived in the only state in the US without a PWC office! I wanted to eventually transfer within the company to an office in a foreign country so that I had an "in" to help missionaries within the country. Maybe somewhere in India or Sri Lanka. (Never Asia, though! HA!) Marriage? Eventually I would have liked to be married (never thought about the military aspect!). I never ever dreamed of having kids, though. Didn't know that I wanted them at all (sound familiar Nenang??). Kids and Liz Claiborne don't really mix well together!

So, what about you? Are you living the life you expected you would live? Or has life turned out differently? Again I say, turning out differently is not bad. It's just...different. :)

6 comments:

Cortney said...

Believe me my life is definitely different than what I expected! I always wanted to be an Art Teacher, never thought of another world outside of Iowa (I haven't lived there for ten years!) and planned on being a younger mom with more kids at this point. God's plans are so much better than mine!

Anonymous said...

I've never really thought about it. If you asked me back in college if I were living my dream I would have said no. I had dreams of being married with kids soon after graduating high school. CRAZY I know! But that was always what I wanted to be growing up...a mom. So YES! I am living my dream of being a mother....I just got here later than expected and had some CRAZY detours along the way! However I never dreamed that I would have this opportunity to become a photographer. As Cortney said....God's plans are so much better than mine and so much bigger than I could have ever dreamed of.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing, but I didn't have a life planned out. Really. I knew I wanted to be married and have kids, but the rest was fill in the blanks. I like how the blanks have been, and are being, filled in.

Wendy said...

I never really envisioned a "career" or details of my life other than I wanted to be a stay at home mom. But it's still turned out very differently from what I expected. At one point or another I said all of the following: I would NEVER have 5 kids, NEVER leave Connecticut, NEVER go back to Korea after visiting Chuck when he did his remote, and I was certainly NEVER homeschooling. And now I can't imagine my life without doing any of those things. It's taken me awhile, but I finally figured out that God's plans are MUCH better for me than mine. And the coolest thing about that is that I don't worry so much about where we'll be in 10, 15, 20 years...because I know I'd never have predicted this for me 20 years ago. I just follow God and trust that He'll lead me where He wants me to be.

UNKYBUNCH said...

Yes...I would have to say I am living my dream. I always thought that I would marry "into" the military. I loved the idea of a man in uniform, and many things that go along with it. Not saying that it doesn't have its many difficulties. But so far, I have been greatful for my experiences. I did think that I would be married and would have children and be a stay at home mom. That is what I envisioned my career to be...and i'm so thankful that it is. I would never change it! I do miss my career at times, but not to the point where I am willing to miss out on my children's lives!!

Summer said...

You know...despite my previous stance about marriage, I think I really did want to be married by now and starting a family. But I also knew that I'd be teaching, afterall, it was my dream since I was 8 years old teaching my stuffed animals and dolls. However, despite not quite being where I planned on being, I've enjoyed the ride God has had me on. It's had some different twists and turns, but each has been an amazing experience.