Sunday, October 29, 2006

Hey Lucy, I'm home!

Yes, we have made it in one piece (well, two pieces, since two of us come to the states!). After an extra four hours of traveling due to one late take off and one airplane equipment maintanence issue, we arrived in Charlotte at 2:30am. Hannah's jet lag has made her a pretty low key little girl during the day, and a I-feel-the-need-to-wake-up-every-two-hours kind of girl at night (any suggestions for helping a kid recover from jet lag?). Crossing 14 times zones isn't really easy on your body. I, on the other hand, am just not sleeping. I can't sleep during the day because the sun is out. I'm just that way. I sleep well at night until Hannah wakes me up. And then I'm AWAKE. So, it's 11pm and after a 2 hour "nap" I'm up and working on my big project of my trip--finishing 34 hours of Continuing Professional Education for my CPA license. Right now, I'm almost thankful for this little bit of insanity that I've added to my five weeks in America. It gives me something to do when I can sleep, and I'm hoping that the dryness of how to record cash considerations between a manufactorer and a reseller will sooth my brain back to slumber!

Being in America is so amazing that I almost cried three time in the Dallas airport just because I could read all of the signs of the stores (and their products!) and I could understand and talk to all of the people around me! Well, except for the cleaning lady in the bathroom because she only spoke Spanish...I understand how she feels! I'm driving on REAL roads! I bought groceries without having to show my id to get into the store OR to pay for the items. It felt SO STRANGE, almost like I was doing something that I wasn't suppose to be doing. I listened to the radio and understood the songs! Yeay!

Thanks to all who lifted us up in prayer. Our trip could have been a disaster, but you prevented that for us. What friends I am blessed with!

5 comments:

Cortney said...

Glad to hear you made it safely! No suggestions for the jet-lag, but i'm sure it will iron itself out!

Wendy said...

I totally understand what you mean about being back in the States. It was such a thrill to drive down the road and be able to read all the street signs. And eventually you learn how to walk in the grocery store without reaching for your ID...probably right before you get back to where you need it every time you walk into a building.

As for jet lag, it'll take a couple of days on both ends of the trip. But just like when she was a baby, when she wakes up in the middle of the night try to keep things relatively calm and dim and gradually try to keep her up a little more during the day. But really a lot of it will just work itself out pretty quickly no matter what you do. When I used to travel with Andrew when he was a baby my mom would remind me that although it sometimes seemed otherwise it was physically impossible for him to stay up forever so I should relax and not get too hyped about what the clock said. And make sure you tell Hannah that Jeremy will be with you soon (although if "soon" usually means he'll be walking through the door in 5 minutes you may want to choose another word or be prepared for her to stare out the window waiting for him). Even as toddlers all my kids did much better when we'd tell them what was going on. They understand way more than they're able to let you know!

Susie said...

I am glad to hear you made it home safely, praise God for safe travels :) Enjoy your family and your stay!

Summer said...

I'm so excited that you are in the states. Hope your time here is well spent and filled with lots and lots of family time. Love ya LB!

Anonymous said...

hope you are having a good time. I'm thinking about you