Wednesday, February 06, 2008

A Life of Grey

Tangent before I get started--why is it so much fun to spell "gray" as "grey"? I'm sure my mother-in-law can tell me if I can use them interchangably...

My life, right at this very minute, seems void of any kind of color whatsoever. Not only is it STILL too cold to take the kids for a walk in the stroller (not to mention the ice on the roads), but we are further in isolation due to the flu. I had it, Benjamin had a little bit of it, and we seemed to be on the mend until today when Hannah threw up twice. The very weird thing is that we never go anywhere. We hardly ever see anyone on a consistant basis anyway. So, how are we sick? We were out and about all the time in Korea--downtown, around bases, at church & meetings, at the playground in February 40 degree weather--and we never got sick like this. So why, now that I no longer have all of those fun places to actually caught germs, am I having to go through the cycles of sickness? It seems that if we had gone through it in Korea, it would have at least been the price we paid for having some fun and being with friends. We can't even say that much now!

And so here I am...feeling sick, taking care of sick ones, trying to work, trapped in the house, and no end in sight (well, at least for the last two of the list--I know the kids will get better eventually!). Many times this morning I pondered the wonders of depression medication. But because of my compulsive/obsessive personality, I know not to open that Pandora's Box! I can see myself slipping into the "need a drug for everything" mentality as the chaos of my life only seems to escalate and never level off. The one drug I don't need right now is sleeping medication! He he he :) I guess exhaustion will do that for a body! Speaking of which....zzzzzzz.....

6 comments:

Cortney said...

A cloud of gloom has taken over our house as well. It is really hard to stay cheery. I'm so sorry that kiddos are sick, I was going to call you this morning to see if you would want to strap children in strollers and do some power laps around the mall (no shopping, just free exercise... ok, maybe window shopping!)
Bummer. I will lift up a prayer for you and yours and soon we will get together!

Mary Thorson said...

I am there as well...we haven't seen the light of day all week. Asher has had a temp of 104 since Sat. and was just diagnosed with Tonsilitus. So at least we now have antibiotics perking him up. But in the meantime, we have just been looking at these 4 walls which really stinks when it is 89 degrees out...AAAHHHH!

Rachel Melone said...

Ok, so this morning Kris woke up with the flu, or so we thought. We went into the clinic and they did a test and confirmed it's not the flu- just a virus that's going around. Not that it will make you feel any better, but it made me feel better for some reason! Also, I was walking through walgreens today and I heard 2 people talk about all the kids that are out of school or people they know who are sick with the flu right now. Scary!!! I feel your pain. Someday's depression medications seems so necessary in my life!!! I think our personalities are a lot a like though, and it wouldn't be something that would benefit me long term. Praying for you!

Amber said...

I cannot say I am there with you as I cannot relate to what you are talking about as my life is so crazy full of events and people that I would love to escape to your world for a short time...short being the key word.

I would love to come and play with your kiddos and visit with you--sick kids and all!--but unfortunately I don't have the ability to transport myself through the world-wide web.

I will do the only thing I can and pray for you.

a_taylor said...

Oh Laura Beth! Hang in their kiddo! Grey is just like a cloud, not permanent and sooner or later their becomes a beautiful blue sky! And everynow and then a rainbow. I was reading in my bible study the other day about how often God spoke to people from clouds. Humm....stop, take a deep breath, and listen to the Lord. He loves you and will give you the grace you need to make it through the diaper stage!!! Your in my prayers! Love ya. J

a_taylor said...

Okay....so its me Jackie Durham. not my mom I am just typing from her computer!