Monday, May 14, 2007

From the South to the Middle East

Ok, so I'm all about food nowdays. Really, I'm all about my bread maker :) This weekend we tried our hand at fried chicken and rolls, a staple of almost every Southern diet. Today I made hummus and pita bread! I will very generously remind my readers that I make no homemade bread without my bread maker. All of the kneading and punching and stuff is just not something I can do. I can, however, read a recipe online and figure out what dough cycle on my bread machine will produce the desired end product. Today, it was pita bread. It's just getting so hard for me to spend $2.50 on eight pitas when I know it is only flour, salt, sugar, water, and yeast. I probably saved $2.00 on just this one attempt. But the even better part is that my husband thinks I'm the coolest thing...since sliced bread :) (I couldn't help myself on that one!) For some reason he finds it so much fun that we make homemade food. I can honestly say "we" because he was the one who fried up the chicken.

Next up...falafel with the extra garbanzo beans!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Either Benjamin is sleeping through the night giving you newfound energy or you've gone straight past sleep-deprived to over-caffeinated or the adrenaline rush about moving has hit you. Either way, the LB I met when you moved to Osan...the one who makes the Energizer bunny look lazy...is back!

Laura Beth said...

I think it is called "productive procrastination." I know I need to pack and clean my house, but I would rather be cooking instead :) And, yes, I have the most energy on Mondays. Today is DEFINITELY a coffee day!

Anonymous said...

Amy and I really like falafel and pita bread (hint, hint).

Amber said...

I love homemade food as well! Keep up the cooking adventures...you always make good stuff.

Amber Joy said...

oohooohooh, me too. I made peanut butter the other day!