Monday, September 18, 2006
Transcending time
I'm sure you have had this experience many times. I know I have. But for some reason it always surprises me when it happens again, as if coming out of the blue. I found a cd with music from the "Breathing Room," which is where the leaders of Generation Church would go before we went out into the craziness of teenage living in order to minister to them on Wednesday nights. Hearing these songs coming out of my computer speakers puts me back in that place, in that time. I'm in a sweater and jeans. I'm skinny--not pregnant! I'm exhausted because it is busy season and I'm praying for energy and an ability to reach the hearts of people who live and have lived such a different life than me. My dear friend Amber is there with me. All of this I know but my eyes are closed as I breath in the music and breath out all of the stress and craziness of my day. You know what the amazing thing is? Music is powerful. The words, the rhythm, the memories, the emotions. But they can't compare to the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives. As much as music can move us and change us, inspire us, take us to other places and times, only the Holy Spirit can reach that part of our being that we barely know exists. I'm glad He uses music to take us to that place at times...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Amen to that LB! Music is such a powerfully wonderful and amazing thing. Keep listening!
Beth
I agree! Music can remind me of memories in my brain that have been tucked away for just that moment. God also reminds me of times that I love and also of ones I would much rather forget! I am thankful that I don't have to go through them again, but I wouldn't give up the wisdom gained from going through them!
When we got to Osan our CD player broke. The first few weeks at Osan are pretty much shell shock anyway and we had the added joy of a houseful of lice that would not go away. I was at the end of my rope. That Friday Chuck actually got home before the BX closed so I took off and got a new CD player, along with a new worship CD. Total lifesaver. It's hard to be a whiner and sing Trading My Sorrows at the same time. All music can be powerful and transport us to other times, but worship music (at least most of it) has the added power of God's Word running through it. Bu it is a little funny to me that it transports you AWAY from Osan and it transports me TO Osan and the House :)
Amen, and again I say Amen. Thanks for the pick me up, and reminder of God's goodness in all areas.
Fond memories......I need the GFCC breathing room right now!!! I forgot that was what it was called! Sure wish I could go to the 25th church anniversary this weekend! :( Hope your doing well! J
Maybe that's why I like my house so much. Music all the time. Transcending time! HA! I'm trying to be in a constant state of transcendence!!! heehee
just happened to catch your blog, Laura Beth and forwarded it to Rob. Such great memories...thanks for the reminder:) Some of those songs are still my favorites when I'm needing some "breathing time". Blessings to you and yours and congrats on your new little person. Our LITTLE GIRL!!! is coming in the next few weeks. God's good and faithful.
Post a Comment