Tuesday, September 05, 2006

the catch-up game

Do you ever feel like you are playing a game where you are always just a shy of finishing something? The dishes, the laundry, the emails, the scrapbooks...the list could include just about anything that you consider necessary for life (ie, the laundry) or important to your purpose in life. In my blogging absence, I've been playing that game. This past weekend I played it for 19 hours. There is a rec room on the first floor of my apartment building. For all you scrapbooking junkies out there, you know how much effort it takes to get out of all your stuff to really, truly scrapbook. And by the time you get it all out and do a two page spread, it is time to clean it up. That's where the rec room came into play. We set up, worked, worked, worked, (and ate and talked and joked and got delirious from lack of sleep) and we accomplished things! I got Hannah's babybook finished. Not a "grand master piece" but a record and history of her first twelve months of life. It is neat to see how much my "scrapbooking technique" have improved with time. I also got over 650 pictures in photo albums with descriptions. So, every picture I have printed out is either in a scrapbook or in a photo album. I can't tell you how good it feels. Maybe you already know. Jeremy has no clue. Men don't have these things like scrapbooking that are innately part of being a dad. But there are a ton for moms. Not that I don't enjoy scrapbooking. I've come to find it enjoyable. But there is this sense of responsbility to "preserve my family memories" that comes with being a mother. And then life happens and the preservation doesn't. For now, mine are preserved. Maybe not to the extent and detail that I would have liked, but why set myself up for unrealistic expectations.

And now I'm exhausted and going to bed. Good thing it is getting dark earlier!

6 comments:

Cortney said...

I finished Colton's 1st year book over a year ago and haven't really scrapbooked since. I dearly miss it, and I have three years of memories that are sitting in my computer and camera. I need to get caught up, but ahhh, life! Good for you!

Cortney said...

I should also include that I have bought the papers and stickers and such, that coordinate to most of these memories so I don't have a very good excuse!

Susie said...

I am lucky enough to have a nook so I can scrap at pretty much anytime I have some downtime. What's hard for me is packing my stuff up for a crop. The last crop I went to I just brought cardmaking supplies because that is so much easier for me than to drag the PC along. Ha.
Good for you for having a fun free weekend to scrap! your daughter will appreciate your efforts ten times over when she grows up! You, too!

Anonymous said...

I hate getting guilty inspiration. I have to get my butt in gear on Judah's book. Before #2, mr. tummy bug arrives.

Katie Glathar said...

I am with Amber. I need to get my butt into gear. Now I have an excuse being home without a vehicle. But that also makes me think that all of my closets and floors need to be clean. Some day soon...

Summer said...

Congrats!!! I heard you are having a little Benjamin! I'm so excited for you two! I love ya and miss ya