Thursday, July 06, 2006

Psychotic Communist Dictators

I'm sure you have all heard by now (unless you live under a rock) that the North Koreans have been launching nuclear missile rockets out into the Sea of Japan. As far as anyone can tell, there haven't been any signs of WMD, and the launching appears to be testing of the rockets rather than an attempt to destroy anything or anyone. However, I live in South Korea, so this news seems pretty important to me. We (military dependents) are told as soon as we step foot onto the peninsula that we could, at any time, be evacuated from the country if there was risk of war or a threat to our safety. There are reasons why that only 390 military members are allowed to bring their families here. Within thirty days of arriving in country, we are required to fill out tons of paperwork and collect all important documentation so that we can, at a moment's notice, leave the country with a 66lb limit of luggage that must include three days of water and food, blankets, clothes, and all important papers. In light of the political climate right now, I have been a little on my toes about having to be evacuated. I just updated files on my computer with important financial info and backed it up to our external hard drive so that I can pack the hard drive and take it with me in case of said evacuation. There hasn't been talk of sending us out of the country. In fact, it is probably safer to be in S. Korea than to be in the Western US because the missiles are going westward, not southward. At any rate, I thought you might find it interesting to know what I've been spending the last hour of my life doing--preparing for an emergency evacuation from my house due to a communist dictator. It's so crazy. Is this really my life??

2 comments:

Cortney said...

Kudos to you for being prepared! What a crazy situation! I pray that you and your family will be safe and should anything happen, God's hand of security would be on you! Despite the crazyness of that situation, I hope that your in-laws had a great time and got back to the states ok!

Wendy said...

I knew you'd be prepared...and probably more prepared than anyone else on the base. That's one of the little joys of Korea you don't find out until you're there. Gregory was 3 when we got there and he and the twins came to gas mask training with me. I took one look at my 6 gas masks and asked Gregory if he knew Jesus as his Lord and Savior. I think I asked the question again after my first evacuation drill. I'm grateful that you know that you are in God's loving hands and that you rest in that. I'm praying for you and for the rest of the peninsula, especially the people who are putting their faith in men rather than God.

But the big question is, did the psychotic communist dictator ruin Jeremy's leave plans? I know there were still softball games planned last night so it seems life is as "normal" as it can be in what is technically still a war zone.