Most of the Christian world has heard of the Five Love Languages. If you haven't, shoot me an email and I'll explain (laurabethrhodes@gmail.com). My love language is acts of service and quality time. (With my family I'm more physical touch in giving love, but I'm not so touchy-feely with anyone outside of my family.) I'm actively working on words of encouragement--that's a big one for Jeremy. So what does that leave out of my realm? Gift giving. I'm just terrible at gift giving. It's just not something I think about. It's like that part of my brain (or heart or whatever) didn't develop properly or something. And everytime I get a gift, I think about how awesome it is to get said gift and I realize how much I want to develop this part of my person.
I'm surrounded by gift-givers. One of my dearest, dearest friends from college (the prayers of which are one of the big reason why Jeremy & I got together...) just sent me a package. Sandals for Hannah, because I can't buy them here (literally, they don't sell her wee size 4s ANYWHERE in Korea). A birthday present for me, Jeremy, and Hannah (yes, all three of us change over our ages in August). A card for our anniversary (homemade, no doubt, although I haven't opened any of these things yet because she wants me to wait until the appropriate days). And then two boxes of Sundried Tomato & Basil Wheat Thins. Why are these such a cool thing? One: when we were in college, we were both study FANATICS! We would study together with a pot of coffee and either box of wheat thins or a bag of popcorn. (Man, the memories. I still miss college. I digree...) Two: I can't buy these new kind of Wheat Thins in Korea. So, the combo of these two things, in addition to the fact that she bought TWO boxes, made me so excited that I started eating them as soon as I opened her package!
I blogged that another dear friend sent a package last month. My friend from Kosova sent me an AWESOME necklace that I wore today. My running partner is a gift-giver. The dear MOPS friend is a gift-giver (and keeps saying how she loves the present she got Hannah for her birthday...). And here I am. Surrounded by wonderful friends with whom I don't speak the same language. They inspire me. They convict me. And unless the Holy Spirit changes me, there is no way in this world I'll be able to think like them! Oh the road of personal growth!
(ps--thanks Mar!)
Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Thanks for the encouraging comment on my blog! I love giving gifts, taking the time to make or pick out something that is meaningful and imagining them opening it just gets me giddy, but I'm not really good at receiving them! I usually feel awkward and don't really know how to reverberate (sp?) my appreciation for their time and expense.
I understand your frustration here LB. I'll give you a hug or do anything for you but as for finding a gift (getting it in the mail is another thing) I just don't think of things.
I'm a really bad gift thinker uper (is that a word?) But, I have really been trying to be better at this one thing. For example, when I'm around people I will try to take note of things they say they need or things they like to do, etc... and then when I get home I write it down on a list of idea's so that I can just refer to it when Birthday, Christmas or just an anytime gift comes up. It totally helps me so much better and makes them really happy because I'm not just buying them the first thing I see that they might not even like! (I'm one of those grab the first think you see shopper! I'm bad, I know!) I think it's a skill that takes time getting used to and training yourself to do. It will come though- :)
Please disregard all of the major typos you have just read. I would make my college english professor cringe.
Interesting thought--Cortney says she loves giving gifts but it is hard for her to get them. I love serving people, but it is hard for let to let others (apart from Jeremy!) serve me. Has anyone else seen this pattern in their lives?
On those love languages my score for gifts was, I think, one. And that was because the question involved a homemade gift. But I absolutely love giving gifts that I'm not obligated to give. If I see something I think someone will like I love to pick it up to surprise them...but put the pressure of buying Christmas gifts for the extended family on me and my joy goes out the window. I'd rather buy for the kids on the angel tree at church. I guess it's that I like giving gifts or doing things for people that I think will be appreciated rather than expected. And it is very hard for me to let others serve me. I do believe that's one of the blessings of having the twins. Once you're totally overwhelmed you have to figure out that it's okay to let people help. Just because you CAN do something yourself doesn't mean you HAVE to. I also realized that I do get a lot of joy out of doing things for other people and that if I don't let anyone help me I may be taking away an opportunity for them to have some joy. So I'm working on LETTING people help me, but I'm a long way from being able to ASK people to help me!
Post a Comment