Thursday, June 15, 2006

Life Changing Dates

I told someone recently that I never fully lived out the saying "you make time for the things that are important" until after I became a mom. Not that I'm any more busy now than before Hannah came along (in some ways I'm LESS busy), but I feel that with my "age" I've come to better understand what is important and to LIVE that way.

I don't know if I've written about "date night" yet. Even if I have, it is worth mentioning again. In the midst of my husband's CHAOTIC work schedule, he takes off from work early on Thursdays (between 5:30 and 6:00) and spends the entire evening with me. God bless Amber Divers for volunteering to babysit each week for us! We knew when we first got married that we needed to have a weekly date night. We didn't make it a priority during our tour in Montana. We always let "ministry" and other related church things crowd out our time together. Shame on us. We are almost three months into our weekly date night, and it has been the best thing that we have ever done. Tonight was a $5 trip to Baskin Robbins with some fries from Charlie's Steakery thrown in for good measure. Talking, walking around the base, eating ice cream, being out of the house and TOGETHER. It was great.

And then there are my weekly Ro-tic dates on Sunday nights. For those who don't know about these special dates, they are "romantic" dates without the "man". They are rotic dates. On Sunday evenings I runaway to a coffeeshop and spend a couple of hours with the other love of my life--Jesus. Just me, him, one of the best lattes in the world (yes, in Korea!), my Bible, and my journal. (Well, I bring my calendar, too, to lookover my upcoming week.) I just don't know how I lived without these two dates each week. I'm a different woman. I'm a better wife, mother, and daughter of God. Praise God for His provision! He knows exactly what I need!

4 comments:

Beth said...

You have reminded me of the importance of "date night" and inspired me to make that a priority. Now all I just need to find me my own "Amber Divers"! I love the idea of a ro-tic date! It sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I need to be more like you in these ways.

Wendy said...

You are a wise, wise woman! I wish I'd made that more of a priority with one kid, because with 5 we're really glad for a yearly date night. But Nana lives nearby now and the kids do a little better staying by themselves for a little while so maybe we can make something work. I think we may try "date mornings" and go out for breakfast on Chuck's day off occasionally. Time to be creative before I just become bitter :) And the ro-tic date sounds even way more important. When did my idea of getting out for alone time turn into grocery shopping without the kids???

Anonymous said...

I've gone on ro-tic dates sporatically but never consistantly...I've recently thought about making it a habit. Thanks for blogging...God used you to say..."Yeah, quit thinking about it and just do it!"