Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Hawaiian Adventure

Jeremy is going to a week-long conference in Hawaii next week and he gets to stay at a VERY impressive hotel. I just can't sit back and allow him to have that kind of fun without me, so I'm taking the bold (stupid?) step of trying to get a military flight to Hawaii. For those who are unfamiliar with "hoping" I'll explain what I know. Military flights are only posted two days ahead of time, so it makes planning a bit chaotic. I still don't know when I'm leaving. I show up to the terminal and they have this big long procedure of figuring out who has top priority (of the people who show up for that flight) to get on the flight. You have to bring all of your stuff with you and wait around until they tell you whether or not you get to go on the flight. If you don't get on that flight you go home, with all of your stuff, and try again the next time there is a flight going to your destination. If you do get a flight, you may have to stop at a number of different Air Force bases along the way (and possibly get stuck there) before arriving where you want to go. And then you get to repeat the process coming back. I've heard of people who have flown to Hawaii on their first attempt and got back on their first attempt. I also know people who were stuck there for an extra week (I know, stuck in Hawaii, but it costs money to do that!) and then had to be in the Guam terminal for 36 straight hours. Mind you, I'll be with Hannah WITHOUT Jeremy. Like I said, it is an adventure. I heard that there was a flight on Friday, which is two days earlier than I had planned on going, so I'm in turbo mode trying to get everything ready to leave. I actually had to buy diapers and baby food today. It was painful. (I use cloth diapers--Fuzzi Bunz--and I'm making Hannah's food.) But, the upside potential of this very risky endeavor is so high (can we say BEACHES??) that I can't just stay in Korea by myself! So, if you don't hear from me in a while, that's a good thing!

Aloha!

3 comments:

Susie said...

good luck! And hopped over to Europe after college and has many wonderful memories. I'll say a prayer for you just in case it helps :)
S

Amber Joy said...

it will be so much fun! All of it. Just keep reminding yourself: THIS is the adventure. Every part. Jn.10:10

Beth said...

Good luck! I will keep you guys in my prayers. Take lots of pictures of the beaches! Lucky you!