Monday, March 10, 2008

There's a reason it feels so early...

Easter this year is: Sunday March 23, 2008

As you may know, Easter is always the 1st Sunday afterthe 1st full moon after the Spring Equinox (which is March 20).

This dating of Easter is based on the lunar calendarthat Hebrew people used to identify passover, which is why it moves around on our Roman calendar.

Found out a couple of things you might be interesting!

Based on the above, Easter can actually be one dayearlier (March 22) but that is pretty rare.
This year is the earliest Easter any of us will eversee the rest of our lives! And only the most elderly of our population have ever seen it this early (95 years old or above!). And none of us have ever, or will ever, see it a day earlier! Here are the facts:

The next time Easter will be this early (March 23)will be the year 2228 (220 years from now).

The last time it was this early was 1913 (so if you're 95 or older, you are the only ones that werearound for that!).

The next time it will be a day earlier, March 22, willbe in the year 2285 (277 years from now). The last time it was on March 22 was 1818.

So, no one alive today has or will ever see it any earlier than this year!

8 comments:

Mary Thorson said...

How do you know these random things?!

Laura Beth said...

This posting was a fun email that a girlfriend sent to me--I thought I would share!

Rachel Melone said...

This makes me feel weird and I have no idea why. Maybe it's because I am a part of history or something. Ok, I'm random- I should stop talking now....

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! Thanks for that tidbit!

Mandi! said...

oi vey! i think i like it later in the year anyway... (this year's snuck up on me!)

Cortney said...

I love that you love numbers and facts and I can sound smart when I pass it along to my friends... oh, wait all of my friends are bloggers. Well maybe I can impress Jesse and Colton! :o)

Rachel Melone said...

I missed you at play group also. I am such a slacker.... let's get together on our own? Call me!!! You are awesome..

Unknown said...

That's so good to know!! Great info!