It was time. After two pregnancies and 27 months in Korea, I really needed to buy clothes from STORES in America (versus online and through the mail!). I know, my definition of "need" was a very American definition, but it didn't stop me from buying some fun new things. I even had the help of my very fashionable little sister in my endeavors.
Then my shipment arrived. I saw the piles and piles and boxes and boxes of STUFF. Clothes, candle holders, kitchen gadgets, towels that are the "wrong color," and endless other things that just don't need to be taking up space in my house. Simplify--isn't there a grassroots effort to do that in America today? I think everyone talks about doing it, but when it comes down to it, it is just hard to get rid of the Desert Rose china that Jeremy's grandmother gave me. I mean, I may throw a tea party, and wouldn't I just kick myself for not having that china??
Back the clothes...because my current occupation does not lend itself well to wearing suits (and even when I was working full time, Montanans tend to be more "business casual" in the office), I needed to clean out and get rid...and then I heard about a group from a local church going to Russia to minister to women who had been rescued from the sex trade industry and needed clothes...and a flyer for needs at the Rescue Mission...and before I knew it I had three boxes of clothes that are heading out the door. And some baby equipment going to Lifeway Pregnancy Center.
The sad thing is, within a month I won't even remember what I gave away. It's the initial letting go that is so hard, but I don't even think that I'm being sacrificial in the giving. And even though the giving isn't "sacrificial" it still feels great--even better than buying the new clothes. Now there's a concept, huh? Better to give than to receive? Honestly, even though I've been a Christian for 21 years, I never really FELT that until recently. I think my problem was that I always took my things to the Goodwill. I never felt that I was helping anyway with my giving. But when I stand in front of my closet and think of the women in Russia or the homeless in Great Falls, it is at that moment that I can part with some of the baggage that I've been holding on to for so long. And it is liberating!
If anyone wants some new candle holders, just stop by :)
Friday, August 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment