
For the past week I have been glued to the news, internet news, blogs, websites, and emails the tell me the stories of my fellow Hokies and their families. I don't know how much you are all following the story. Maybe you are like I normally am with these types of things "I've heard about this all week--can we move on to something else?" I usually feel like I hear the same things over and over. This time, it hasn't bothered me. It has helped me to stay connected with my extended family and all that they are going through.
In all of my news watching and reading I've picked up on a couple of things that may have slipped your attention. And because I think that the American media is like a big bully that pushes their thoughts, opinions, and policies onto everyone who listens, I think that it is a glorious thing to share these tidbits on with you...
(All of these stories are told in U.S. time.)
On the Monday evening news, all of the major news channels said that questions were being raised and outcry was being heard over the decisions made by President Steger and the Chief of Police. They managed to find a few students to interview who wanted to bash the President for the lack of proper warning to the student body after the first shooting. It seemed to make great controversial headlines. At the Tuesday afternoon convocation the student body rose to their feet and gave President Steger a standing ovation that lasted three minutes. After that, the media quit looking for people who disgruntal students. And the comments made were that "a panel was being formed to ensure the situation was handled propertly" with no names being mentioned again. Go Hokies.
Then on Wednesday night NBC news aired video footage of the shooter. Cho had sent to the videos, pictures, and a rambling letter to the news station in between the first and second shootings. I watched in horror as they did exactly what Cho knew they would do--give him the final word from the grave. I was outraged. And so were the Hokies. The next day at a press conference the VA Chief of Police commented on the lack of propriety in airing the footage. At least two families turned interviews for the Today show because of the airing of the footage. Countless students were interviewed telling of their disapproval of the footage. Not only did NBC not air any more videos (as they had promised to do at the close of the Wednesday night broadcast) but they came as close as I have ever heard to giving an apology on air for, basically, being so insensitive. Go Hokies.
The best part? The Student Government has formally asked all media to leave campus by the start of classes on Monday morning. Handwritten signs were posted by students around campus asking the media to go home. "You came, you filmed our story, you showed how we are a family. Now, please leave."
I used to think that the media was a powerhouse of corrupt secular theology that could never be stopped. The Hokies have proved me wrong. It is amazing the power of a group of likeminded individuals who will not allow what they value to be trampled upon. And while at the beginning of this tragedy the news asked "How will this event negatively affect future enrollment?" I think they answered their own question--it won't. Throughout the week the news has had to report what is actually happening in Blacksburg--students, families, faculty, and the community at large coming together to get through a tragic time unified in heart and spirit. And if you want to go to college in a place as great as Virginia Tech, they are accepting applications. :)
In all of my news watching and reading I've picked up on a couple of things that may have slipped your attention. And because I think that the American media is like a big bully that pushes their thoughts, opinions, and policies onto everyone who listens, I think that it is a glorious thing to share these tidbits on with you...
(All of these stories are told in U.S. time.)
On the Monday evening news, all of the major news channels said that questions were being raised and outcry was being heard over the decisions made by President Steger and the Chief of Police. They managed to find a few students to interview who wanted to bash the President for the lack of proper warning to the student body after the first shooting. It seemed to make great controversial headlines. At the Tuesday afternoon convocation the student body rose to their feet and gave President Steger a standing ovation that lasted three minutes. After that, the media quit looking for people who disgruntal students. And the comments made were that "a panel was being formed to ensure the situation was handled propertly" with no names being mentioned again. Go Hokies.
Then on Wednesday night NBC news aired video footage of the shooter. Cho had sent to the videos, pictures, and a rambling letter to the news station in between the first and second shootings. I watched in horror as they did exactly what Cho knew they would do--give him the final word from the grave. I was outraged. And so were the Hokies. The next day at a press conference the VA Chief of Police commented on the lack of propriety in airing the footage. At least two families turned interviews for the Today show because of the airing of the footage. Countless students were interviewed telling of their disapproval of the footage. Not only did NBC not air any more videos (as they had promised to do at the close of the Wednesday night broadcast) but they came as close as I have ever heard to giving an apology on air for, basically, being so insensitive. Go Hokies.
The best part? The Student Government has formally asked all media to leave campus by the start of classes on Monday morning. Handwritten signs were posted by students around campus asking the media to go home. "You came, you filmed our story, you showed how we are a family. Now, please leave."
I used to think that the media was a powerhouse of corrupt secular theology that could never be stopped. The Hokies have proved me wrong. It is amazing the power of a group of likeminded individuals who will not allow what they value to be trampled upon. And while at the beginning of this tragedy the news asked "How will this event negatively affect future enrollment?" I think they answered their own question--it won't. Throughout the week the news has had to report what is actually happening in Blacksburg--students, families, faculty, and the community at large coming together to get through a tragic time unified in heart and spirit. And if you want to go to college in a place as great as Virginia Tech, they are accepting applications. :)
Check out WWW.VT.EDU
No comments:
Post a Comment