Saturday, December 16, 2006

Diapers, Pacifiers, and Other Holy Things

First let me start by saying that the title to this blog is actually the title to a really good devotional book for mothers that I got right before Hannah was born. Each of the chapters is about three pages long with actual application principles at the end. It's just what the mother of a newborn needs to get connected to God during a mid-night nursing session!

Diapers--While in the states Hannah hit a growth spurt and outgrew all clothes she had and even her cloth diapers. She wore the small size for five months and then the medium size for eleven months. It took a couple of weeks to decide whether we wanted to continue and buy the large size. But in the end we decided it was worth it and purchased them on Nov. 30th. They were shipped priority mail on Dec. 2nd. We finally got them today. Gotta love APO addresses.

Pacifiers--Jeremy has been trying for months and months to get me to wean Hannah from her paci. I've been beyond nervous to do so, but I knew that I didn't want to have two kids crying for pacis in the middle of the night. So we decided that the exhaustion of jet lag would help lul her to sleep and weaning her off the paci when we got back from the states would be about the best time we could do it. We were right. This is night #11 without a paci--she hasn't taken one with a nap, either! Mind you, this is the child who has recently as Thanksgiving week cried for over thirty minutes because someone didn't know the "nap procedure" and failed to give her the paci at nap time. PRAISE GOD. (I know, as soon as Benjamin has a paci, she'll try to take it from him and we'll have this big battle on our hands, but we are prepared...)

Other Holy Things--This morning was the first morning that Hannah has slept past 6am since we've been back from the states. Why is this is so important? When she wakes up so early, I don't have my morning alone time with the Lord to get prepared for the day she will reek havoc upon. And would you know that THIS week is when she decides that she needs to SCREAM when she doesn't get what she wants when she wants it? And she SCREAMS when she is "done" with her nap, which is not really when nap time is over, but she thinks that it is. And she SCREAMS because she wants me to be constantly holding her? Oh the things I'm in for when Benjamin arrives....

However, I must say that I have two friends who have recently had wee ones, and I'm getting so excited to hold my little 8lb bundle of squishy flesh. I'll be exhausted and mentally frazzled and my body will be going through WWIII as far as hormones, but isn't it worth it?!?! (At least a couple of times!!)

No comments: