Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mothering Matters

The organizational motto from MOPS International (Mothers of Preschoolers) is "Because Mothering Matters." It is catchy and its simplicity is truly inspirational. I find myself saying this over and over during the week. Mothering DOES matter. I know that there are a million email forwards that talk about all the great things that moms do. There are all kinds of little encouraging sayings and words that are passed around. Why write a blog about it? Because encouraging the hearts of mothers is quickly becoming a passion of mine.

Mothering Matters. As moms, our energies can get so depleted. Our focus can get so distracted. For those moms who are "at home," people think we don't have a job so we have time for all kinds of various activities. These good things rob us of our focus on the best thing--investing our lives into the lives of the next generation. I long to hear someone else validate the work I do. I long to hear "well done, you good and faithful servant!" I guess that is why I like to read those forwards and hear the Mother's Day sermons. But there is another reason--I get so many messages from myself and from the world around me that my role and my life as a mom can be done by anyone. By a daycare, by a babysitter, by the school system--anyone can take care of a baby. Yes, anyone can take care of Hannah, but not everyone can raise her to have a passionate relationship with Jesus and be a champion for change in our broken world. That's my job.

Mothering Matters. If you are a mom, your life has very evident eternal impacts. No human will watch your life more closely than your little ones will watch it. Embrace it. Love it. Live it. Mothering Matters.

5 comments:

Summer said...

I will most definitly teach you! But I must admit, they aren't hard and if you can scrapbook then you can create those canvas thingy's. I need a name for them! Got an ideas????

Amber Joy said...

You are an awesome mommy, woman, and friend, and I love you. Happy mother's day! first official one, yippee!!!

Beth said...

You always have such a way with words...truly inspiraional. Thank you!

I hope you had a fabulous FIRST Mother's Day! What a joy it is to have a day just for moms....you deserve a great day! Hope you enjoyed it!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Amen sister! Though I am not a mother yet, I get tired of the world downplaying the role of the mother. You are doing a great job learning to be a mother and allowing God to show you what that means. You take what He is teaching you and are an encouragement to others. Thanks for setting an example of how to serve the Lord through motherhood.

Cortney said...

Thankyou for your encouragement. You have such a great way of saying things.