Monday, February 06, 2006

Life to the Extreme

"All things in moderation" is a line my mom said to me over and over and over again. One would think that after 26 years I would have adopted this wise philosophy into my everyday life. One would be wrong. I've always done everything to the extreme. Moving across the country newly married...moving across the world newly pregnant...Right now I feel as though I'm wrapping up six months of very intense living. From August 8th until February 8th I've had a baby, helped to start a MOPS group at our church (check out the link on the side...), traveled across the world with an 8 week old to help my mom finish up my sister's wedding, traveled across the east coast with said eight week old (nine week old, ten week old...) for three weeks visiting family, recovered from jet lag, dealt with a teething three month old who refused to nurse, survived yet another Christmas season (even though I vowed yet again to not have to "survived" the season), and spent a month traveling to Seoul three times a week to the chiropractor. It makes MY head spin and I'm the one who lived it. So after six months of extreme living I'm treating myself (after much encouragement from my husband) to a couple of weeks of extreme "play." I have set up shop on the only table in my house and have unloaded just about every crafty, stamping, scrapbooking tool that I own. (We have to eat dinner on the floor for the time being!) I'm working on three different scrapbooks right now. Like I said, playing to the extreme.

What has lit this fire within me? What is my motivation? Hannah has decided that she will not give up until she crawls. She just started rolling over last week. She rolled over for two days and then gave that up for the grand pursuit of crawling. She has been on her hands and legs/knees every since trying to propel herself forward. I may be a new mom, but I'm not stupid. She will learn to crawl and life as I know it will be over completely. I will have a mobile child. I will have to "babyproof" my house. I'll be tripping over babygates and searching for the things that I've put away "for safekeeping" in no time at all. And in no time at all I will have no time at all. And so, I have abandoned my post as the cleaner/chief/MOPS hospitality coordinator and have set up camp in the Land of Fun. I know I'll have to leave this magically land very soon, but until then, I'll enjoy my precious time of play!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I got a good laugh from this post. Laura Beth, you do nothing halfway, you do everything to the extreme! You were always this way when we lived close, and I doubt it has waned now that we live far apart. That is one of the great beauties of YOU!!! =^)